Each year, there are more than 250,000 fatalities as a result of medical errors. In comparison, there are roughly 40,000 deaths that occur due to car accidents in the U.S. every year. Needless to say, medical malpractice and negligence happen far too often. Though we expect healthcare professionals to provide top-notch service, it’s not always the case. Mistakes often happen because medical facilities are understaffed, medical staff is overwhelmed and undertrained, general misdiagnoses, and careless mistakes. No matter the reason, if you are injured due to the negligence of a medical provider, it is imperative that you seek the compensation that you deserve. Connecting with a New York area medical malpractice attorney can help to present the facts of your case and increase the likelihood of you and your family being fairly compensated. At Massarelli Law Group, we give each medical malpractice case the personal attention that it deserves. Give us a call to schedule your free initial consultation today. We put the personal in personal injury.
Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim in New York
When you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of a healthcare provider it can be difficult to know who should be held liable. In truth, the law requires every healthcare provider to provide a reasonable duty of care to all patients within their care. This includes hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other medical professionals that are employed in the healthcare industry. In many cases, it is best to file a claim against any provider or institution that may have been liable for your injury. In order to successfully win a medical malpractice claim or suit, you must prove the following:
- There was a clear physician/patient relationship with the parties involved
- Reasonable healthcare was not received (including subpar standard of care)
- The healthcare provider (staff or facility) acted negligently and harm was caused
Common Reasons For Medical Malpractice Suits
There is more than one reason that patients choose to file medical malpractice suits. Consulting with a seasoned White Plains medical malpractice attorney can assist you in determining if any of the following errors were made while you were in the care of a healthcare professional.
- Misdiagnosis: Many medical malpractice claims occur as a result of a physician failing to determine the correct cause of a medical condition.
- Surgical Errors: Injuries can happen during surgical procedures due to instruments left inside of a patient’s body, surgery conducted on the wrong area, errors when administering anesthesia, etc.
- Birth-Related Injuries: Newborns are particularly susceptible to provider errors. Potential birth injuries to a baby can include brain damage, disfigurement, nerve damage, broken bones, etc.
- Medication Errors: Recommending the wrong medication or dosage amount can be devastating for patients.
- Facility Negligence: Negligence within hospitals can occur if proper tests are not performed, misdiagnoses, lack of appropriate staffing, or appropriate supervision is not provided.
- Delayed Treatment or Diagnoses: Hospitals are required to diagnose as well as treat medical conditions within a reasonable time. If not, medical conditions may worsen (in extreme cases can cause death or long-term illness).
- Wrongful Deaths: Negligence by healthcare providers can lead to the premature death of patients.
Working With a New York Medical Malpractice Attorney at Massarelli Law Group
Pursuing a medical malpractice claim or suit can be time-consuming, complex, and outright frustrating for someone who is not trained on the intricacies of medical malpractice law. Working with a New York area medical malpractice attorney can help to alleviate unnecessary stress and ensure that you increase your odds of receiving the compensation that you deserve. Give the professionals at Massarelli Law Group a call to schedule your initial consultation today.